Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Is Spankaphilia a Syndrome

From Wikipedia:

In medicine and psychology, the term syndrome refers to the association of several clinically recognizable features, signs (observed by a physician), symptoms (reported by the patient), phenomena or characteristics that often occur together, so that the presence of one feature alerts the physician to the presence of the others. In recent decades the term has been used outside of medicine to refer to a combination of phenomena seen in association.

I have noted in my blog surfing that the male spankees in F/M relationships often share an interest in a constellation of activities that are ancillary to the primary spanking activity. Chief among these is the wearing of feminine panties as part of their spanking activity. Somewhat less common, in those whose primary focus is on spanking, is a proclivity toward anal activities such as punishment enemas and strap-on sex. I am curious then as to whether, given the above definition, F/m spankaphilia is a syndrome with anal and crossdressing elements having broad variation in expression.

If indeed F/M spankaphilia is a syndrome, then is there some genetic profile that male spankophiles have in common? Such a genetic disposition to spanking submission and humiliation would probably display a wide spectrum of variation as reflected in the intensity of pain and humiliation the individual would require in order to have his needs met. We observe this very phenomenon on F/M spanking blogs, Femdom blogs and groups. In the blogs and groups, however, it is often difficult to sort out what is fact and fiction.

In any case are there associated attributes that might allow one to recognize a fellow F/M spanko? I myself have the “syndrome” attributes and I have often wondered if my father had them and if my son would inherit them. I always viewed my father as m somewhat submissive to my mother. Consequently, I have always wondered whether I have inherited spankaphilia or whether something in my early childhood triggered it. I am also curious how the syndrome expresses itself. That is, which of the activities is more important and in what order in time do they express themselves. I can put a definite lower bound on my spanking interest at my late twenties, although there may have been earlier interest. However, I can put a lower bound on my interest in panties and anal activities at a much earlier age between five and eight. That because I remember participating in such activities with a friend when I lived in the very first house I can remember, and I moved from that house when I was eight years old.

Interestingly, I remember two unpleasant “anal events” at a very young age. I’m not sure of the order, but in one case I was in a Catholic hospital to have my tonsils removed when I was five or six. In those days that demanded a two or three day stay in the hospital. The nurses were mostly nuns dressed in the habit of their order. They would come around three or four times a day to take my temperature rectally. I did not like it, and I complained to my mother about it. It didn’t hurt, but I must have found it humiliating. My mother said there was nothing she could do about it; that was the way they took a child's temperature in the hospital. So I had to endure the humiliation.

The second event was an enema I received sometime around the time I was six. My parents had taken me to the doctor for something; I can’t remember what. After the doctor examined me, the nurse took me back to the waiting room while my parents consulted with him. I remember not having a good feeling about what was going on. On the drive home I asked my parents what the doctor had said and they seemed reluctant to tell me. Finally my mother told me that the doctor said I needed an enema and they would give me one when we got home. I began to protest immediately. I don’t really know how I knew what an enema was. I remember no prior event. I was given a fairly large volume enema (for a child) with a fountain syringe and I made a terrible scene. I also remember that it hurt.

Strangely then, I developed an interest in “playing doctor” with a friend of mine. I would sneak the Vaseline and the child enema syringe into my room and we would use Tinker Toy sticks as rectal thermometers and also insert the enema syringe (no water). I also remember talking to a much older girl (a teenager) and her mother who were neighbors, when enemas briefly came up. I don’t remember the context but, I found it strangely erotic to talk to this teenage girl about enemas. From that time on I have been hooked on anal insertions.

Thus are the origins of my anal eroticism. Unfortunately, my wife has a tremendous aversion anal play, so that part of my syndrome does not come into play in my submission rituals. The panties are another story, and I will discuss them in a latter post.

So is the spankaphile syndrome nature or nurture? I don’t really understand the theory that claims that we eroticize unpleasant events. It makes more sense to me that we are genetically programmed to enjoy certain activities at some level. Perhaps I would have enjoyed those activities if it were not for the traumatic circumstances under which they were performed. Finally, are there other symptoms associated with the syndrome that are more overt and that might out the spankaphile? These are questions that seem to remain unanswered.

No comments: